Built by the royal masons in 1250, the Chapter House of Westminster Abbey was originally used in the 13th century by Benedictine monks for their daily meetings. It later became a meeting place of the King’s Great Council and the Commons, predecessors of today’s Parliament.
Goddard Consulting were part of the project team for the £3.7 million restoration of this much celebrated World Heritage Site. The works comprised of extensive stone and lead roof restoration works. The building remained open to visitors throughout the contract; due to the complexity of the required scaffolding there were significant public safety issues that were successfully mitigated with the appointed Principal Contractor.
Client English Heritage
Architect Stow & Beale Conservation Architects
Structural Engineer Hockley & Dawson Consulting Engineers Ltd
Services Designer Martin Thomas Associates
Principal Contractor Nimbus Conservation